Prepare time: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Serves: 5 – 6 Persons
- ½ cup Urad dal
- 2 Cups of rice flour
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or vegan butter
- 2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds – optional
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- 1 ½ cup water
Directions For Making Chakli
- Cook the black gram in a stovetop pressure cooker with 2 cups of water. Cook until it gets very soft (4 whistles and slow cooling).
- If you have an Instant Pot pressure cooker, cook the urad dal or black gram using pot in a pot (PIP) method. Add rinsed urad dal in a small pot and pour 1 ½ cup water. Cover the lid and cook for 25 mins in HP. Open the lid after natural pressure release.
- Once the dal is cooked, use the whisk to mash it and let it cool down.
- When it is warm enough to handle, mix it rice flour, melted butter (vegan), salt, cumin seeds, and sesame seeds.
- Mix all the ingredients to get an even mixture.
- Place a big frying pan with sufficient oil ( I used 4 cups of canola oil) over medium heat.
- Press out the chakli dough in a circular spiral on small pieces of parchment paper or paper towels.
- When the oil has heated optimally (check recipe details on how to reach optimum oil temperature), carefully add chakli one at a time into the frying pan. You can add 3 to 6 chaklis at a time depending on the size of your pan.
- Repeat pressing out the chakli and frying process for the remaining dough. Remember to increase the heat for the oil to high before adding the next batch of chakli.
- Allow the chaklis to completely cool down and then store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Crispy and warm chaklis are ready to be served! Enjoy them all year around.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org for any further discussions.