For Sev Puri
- 36 Papdi or flat crispy puri
- ½ to ¾ cup sev or add as required
- 2 to 3 medium to large potatoes, boiled, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato – finely chopped (optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1 green chili – chopped, optional
- ⅓ to ½ cup Mint-Coriander Chutney
- ⅓ to ½ cup sweet tamarind dates chutney
- ¼ to ⅓ cup red chili chutney
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder – optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder – optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon black salt or rock salt or common salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice or add as required
For Green Chuteny
- 2 cups chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) – tightly packed
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chillies or 2 green chillies, add more for a spicy chutney
- 1 inch ginger chopped (optional)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon lime juice or add as per taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon salt or add as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoons water for grinding or add as required
For Sweet Chuteny
- ½ cup seedless tamarind – tightly packed
- ½ cup seedless dates
- ½ cup powdered or grated jaggery or add as required – adjust as per your taste
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder (ground coriander)
- ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder or 1 dry red chili * see notes
- black salt or rock salt or regular salt as required
For Red Chuteny
- 15 to 16 dry kashmiri red chilies
- 8 to 9 medium garlic cloves roughly chopped
- salt as required
Directions For Making Green Chuteny
- Rinse the coriander leaves well in water. Drain all the water and roughly chop them.
- Take the chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies & ginger, cumin powder, chaat masala, lemon juice and salt in a grinder jar or a small blender jar.
- Add 1 or 2 teaspoons water and grind to a smooth chutney. Add a few teaspoons more of the water if required. But don’t make the chutney too thin or watery.
- Remove the chutney in a bowl and set aside. Use this green chutney as required for chaat recipes like this sev puri.
Directions For Making Sweet Chuteny
- In a pan, take the tamarind, dates and water.
- Cook the tamarind and date for about 8 to 9 minutes on a low heat until they soften.
- Now add the powdered jaggery and continue to cook. Let the jaggery dissolve and the mixture thicken a bit. If you do not have jaggery, use sugar in the same proportion as that of jaggery.
- Add all the ground spice powders – red chili powder, coriander powder, dry ginger powder and roasted cumin powder.
- Stir and simmer for a further 1 to 2 minutes more. Season with salt.
- Let the chutney mixture cool down.
- In a chutney grinder or small blender, grind the this whole mixture till smooth.
- Add some water if required while grinding. Optionally you can strain the chutney through a strainer.
- Store the tamarind date chutney in an airtight bowl or container in the refrigerator and use it when you make chaat at home.
Directions For Making Red Chuteny
- Break the chilies and remove their seeds with a spoon.
- Soak the red chilies in hot water for about 20 to 30 minutes. The water just needs to cover them.
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic. Drain the red chilies after 20 to 30 minutes
- Adding very little water grind both the red chilies and garlic in a chutney grinder or blender till smooth. The consistency of the chutney should be more towards thicker side or of medium consistency.
- Pour the chutney in a small jar or bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
- When preparing chaat snacks, just add a small amount, while topping the chaat with other chutneys.
Directions For Making Sev Puri
- Keep all the ingredients like the chutneys, chopped boiled potatoes, chopped onions and tomatoes, sev, lime juice read on your work surface.
- Arrange the puris on a plate. Top it up with chopped boiled potatoes.
- Add chopped onions and tomatoes to it.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala and cumin powder on it, if you want at this stage.
- Top up with the green chutney as much as you want. Then top up with a bit of red chili chutney.
- Then with the sweet chutney as much as you want.
- Sprinkle sev on top all over. Again sprinkle a few pinches of chaat masala, roasted cumin powder. Sprinkle also a few pinches black salt of regular salt.
- Add a dash of lemon juice to the sev puri. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve sev puri immediately so that the puris does not become soggy. Assemble and make sev puri this way with the rest of the ingredients.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to [email protected] for any further discussions.