For Cooking White Peas
- 250 grams dried white peas or dried green peas or 1 cup
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder or 2 to 3 pinches (ground turmeric)
For Masala Paste
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 marathi moggu (kapok buds)- optional
- 1 to 2 mace strands
- 2 pinches nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon roasted chana dal (roasted husked bengal gram)
- 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves – chopped
- ½ inch ginger – chopped
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1 to 2 green chilies
- ¼ cup fresh coconut – tightly packed
- ¼ cup cooked white peas
- ⅓ cup water for grinding
For Making Peas Gravy
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper or hot paprika
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar or as required
- Salt as required
For Assembling Masala Puri
- 16 to 20 pani puri or golgappa puris – crushed, as required
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- ⅓ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- chaat masala – as required
- lemon juice – as required
- Tamarind Chutney – optional, as required
- regular salt or black salt, as required
Directions For Cooking Peas
- Rinse and then soak dried white peas in enough water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
- Drain all the water and add them in a stovetop pressure cooker. Also add salt and turmeric powder.
- Then add water.
- Pressure cook for 15 to 20 minutes or for 10 to 12 whistle on medium heat. When the pressure falls down on its own, then only open the lid and check if the white peas are cooked. In case they are not cooked, then add ½ cup more water and pressure cook for some more minutes. The peas should be cooked well.
- Once the white peas are cooked then proceed to the next step.
Directions For Making Masala Paste
- Now in a grinder jar, add the whole spices mentioned under the list ‘For masala paste’ in the ingredients section above.
- Also add roasted chana dal, garlic cloves (chopped), ginger (chopped), chopped coriander leaves, green chilies (chopped) and fresh coconut.
- Add cooked peas.
- Add water and grind to a smooth and fine paste. There should not be any small chunks of any ingredient in the paste. Keep aside.
Directions For Making White Peas Gravy
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions.
- Mix and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add red chili powder and mix well.
- Now add the green masala paste. Mix well and saute for a minute.
- Then add the cooked white peas and add water.
- Season with sugar as per your preference. Also add salt as per taste.
- Mix very well and simmer on a low to low-medium heat. Stir at intervals so that the mixture does not stick to the pan.
- Simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or till you some oil specks on the top. The masala should get cooked and the rawness should go away. Once done switch off the heat. Cover and keep aside.
- Meanwhile when the peas gravy is cooking, you can finely chop onion, tomato, small lime or lemon and coriander leaves. Keep aside.
Directions For Making Masala Puri Chaat
- On a plate, crush 4 to 5 puris which we use for pani puris.
- Pour the peas gravy. If you like some sweetness, then you can add sweet tamarind chutney at this step.
- Top with some finely chopped onions and tomatoes. You can also add grated carrot as this step.
- Sprinkle chaat masala, black salt or regular salt. Also drizzle some lemon juice all over.
- Sprinkle some sev on top. If you want the crunch of the pooris, then sprinkle crushed puris on top instead of placing puris in the plate.
- Lastly add some chopped coriander leaves on top.
- Serve bangalore style masala puri immediately. This way you can make various servings of masala puri and then serve them hot or warm.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org for any further discussions.