- 1 cup basmati rice or regular rice
- 2 large tomatoes or 150 grams tomatoes or ¾ cup finely chopped tightly packed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion or 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- ½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 garlic + 1 to 2 green chilies – crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle or a small grinder, about ½ tablespoon ginger+garlic+green chili paste
- ¾ to 1 cup chopped mix vegetables likes carrots, beans, peas, cauliflower, mushrooms and potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon chopped mint leaves
- 1.75 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- salt as required
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 small star anise (chakriphool)
- 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Rinse rice very well in water and then soak the grains in water for 20 to 30 minutes. You can use basmati rice or any regular rice for the pulao. I used Indian variety of surti kolam rice.
- After 20 to 30 minutes drain the water from the rice and keep aside.
- When the rice is soaking, prep the veggies and keep aside.
- Also crush (ginger + garlic + green chilies) to a semi fine paste in a mortar-pestle. You can also use a small chutney grinder to make this paste.
Directions For Making Tomato Pulao
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add the whole spices and fry them for a few seconds till they become fragrant – cinnamon, cloves, green cardamoms, small star anise, tej patta (Indian bay leaf) and cumin seeds.
- Then add finely chopped onions.
- Stir and saute the onions stirring often till light golden.
- Add the crushed ginger+garlic+green chili paste along with coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Stir and saute for some seconds or till raw aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away.
- Then add finely chopped tomatoes.
- Stir and saute till the tomatoes become pulpy and soften.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder and black pepper or crushed black pepper. Stir and mix again.
- Add the mix vegetables. Stir and saute for 1 to 2 minute. The addition of veggies is optional. Even without the veggies the pulao taste good.
- Then add the rice. Stir and saute for a minute.
- Add the water.
- Season with salt as required. Stir very well. Pressure cook tomato pulao on medium heat for about 10 to 12 minutes or for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure settle down on its own. Then only remove the rid and gently fluff the rice.
- Serve tomato pulao hot or warm garnished with coriander leaves. Accompany plain yogurt, raita or a veggie salad by the side.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to [email protected] for any further discussions.