- ¾ cup white chickpeas (garbanzo beans or safed chana or kabuli chana or chole)
- 1 cup heaped basmati rice, 200 grams rice
- 1 medium to large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 pinch Garam Masala
- 1 pinch turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- 1 pinch saffron strands – optional,
- ½ teaspoon lemon or lime juice or 1 teaspoon yogurt (curd)
- 2 tablespoon Ghee or oil
- 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking the rice
- a few chopped mint leaves for garnish (or coriander keaves)
- salt as required
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 small green cardamom
- 2 single thin strand of mace
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
For The Green Paste
- ¾ to 1 inch ginger – chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic – chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves – chopped
- 3 tablespoon coriander leaves – chopped (cilantro)
- 1 green chili – chopped
- ½ to 1 tablespoon water for grinding
- Rinse and soak white chickpeas (chana or chole) overnight or for 8 to 9 hours in enough water.
- Drain them well.
- Then add the drained chickpeas to the pressure cooker. Add 3 to 3.5 cups water.
- Also add about 1/2 tsp of salt and pressure cook for 12 to 14 whistles or more, till the chickpeas are tender and cooked well.
- Drain the cooked chickpeas and keep aside.
- Rinse the rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch.
- Then soak the rice in enough water for 30 mins. Strain and keep aside.
- Make a smooth paste of the ingredients, mentioned under ‘green paste’ in a chutney grinder or magic bullet with very little water. Keep this green paste aside
- Slice the onion and chop the tomato.
Directions For Making Chickpea Rice
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee or oil and add all the whole spices – caraway seeds, cardamoms, mace, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf.
- Saute the whole garam masala or whole spices for some seconds till fragrant, and then add the sliced onions.
- Saute the onions till golden brown.
- Now add the green paste and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for two minutes.
- Next add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder.
- Saute the tomatoes for a minute or so and add the basmati rice. Mix well and saute the entire mixture for a minute.
- Add the drained cooked chana (chickpeas).
- Add the curd or lemon juice, saffron threads and again mix everything well.
- Now add 1.75 cups of water.
- Season with salt and pressure cook the rice for 2 to 3 whistles. I pressure cooked for 2 whistles.
- When the pressure settles down on its own, then only open the lid of the cooker.
- Gently fluff the rice. Garnish with coriander leaves or mint leaves.
- Serve chole rice hot with raita, pickle, papad or any veg salad.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to email@example.com for any further discussions.