Prepare time: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Serves: 2 Persons
- 1/3 cup Rajma (kidney beans / Jammu variety)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 – 6 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cardamom green
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 onion medium
- 3 spring onion stalks
- 1/2 tsp chili powder red
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 – 3 tbsps coriander leaves fresh (garnish)
Directions For Making Rajma Rice
- Soak the dry rajma overnight or for 8 hours in plenty of water. Drain the water and place the rehydrated beans in a small pressure cooker with 2 cups of water. Pressure cook for 3 whistles and 5 minutes on sim. When the pressure subsides, open the cooker, drain the cooked rajma and keep aside. The rajma should be cooked thoroughly yet hold its shape.
- Peel and coarsely mash the garlic with a mortar-pestle. Peel and slice the onions. Slice off the root part of the spring onions and discard. Slice the white and green portion thinly and keep aside.
- Wash the rice 2-3 times and drain the water, keep aside.
- In a small pressure cooker, heat ghee. Add the bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cardamom and asafoetida. Stir for 30 seconds on medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and spring onions, saute for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cooked rajma.
- Add the washed rice, salt, red chili powder, garam masala. Stir until combined.
- Pour 2 cups water into the cooker. Once this comes to a boil, close the cooker lid with the ‘weight’. Switch off the flame after 2 whistles.
- When the pressure subsides, open the cooker and fluff up the rice. Remove into a hot casserole.
- Serve hot with raita and roasted papad for a complete meal.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to email@example.com for any further discussions.