- 1 cup basmati rice or long grained rice, 200 grams
- 3.5 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon oil – any neutral tasting oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil or any neutral tasting oil
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic or 2 to 3 small to medium garlic
- 1 or 2 spring onions (scallions) – finely chopped, reserve the greens for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped celery (optional)
- 7 to 8 french beans – finely chopped
- ⅓ to ½ cup finely chopped carrots or 1 medium-sized carrot
- ½ cup chopped cabbage
- ⅓ cup chopped capsicum (green bell pepper) or 1 small capsicum
- 1 cup chopped button mushrooms – optional
- 2 tablespoons Schezwan Sauce or add as required
- salt as required
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper or add as required
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped spring onion greens (scallion greens) – for garnish
Directions For Making Schezwan Fried Rice
Method For Cooking rice
- Rinse rice very well till the water runs clear of starch. Soak the rice in enough water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drain all the water and keep the soaked rice aside.
- In a pot, bring water to a gentle boil adding salt and oil.
- Add the soaked and drained rice to the hot water.
- On a low to medium-low heat cook the rice without the lid.
- When the rice becomes al dente or just about cooked, remove the pot from the fire and strain the rice.
- Gently rinse the rice in water so that they stop cooking and don’t stick to each other.
- Cover the rice and set aside. You can even cover and refrigerate the rice while you prepare the veggies and herbs
Method For Making Schezwan Fried Rice
- Finely chop all the vegetables. You can even shred the vegetables in a food processor.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add garlic and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the onions, celery and all the vegetables.
- Increase the heat and stir fry the vegetables on a medium-high to high heat.
- More finely the vegetables are chopped, the faster they will cook.
- Keep on stirring and tossing the vegetables continuously, so that they are equally browned and cooked.
- When the edges of the veggies start to become light brown, add schezwan sauce.
- Stir and then add the cooked and cooled rice in portions. Mix and toss the rice with the veggies gently.
- Season with salt, pepper and vinegar. Stir and toss well so that the sauce coats all the rice grains evenly.
- Garnish with the spring onions greens.
- Serve schezwan fried rice as it is or with a side of veg manchurian, mushroom manchurian or gobi manchurian.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to email@example.com for any further discussions.