For Spinach Puree
- 3 cups roughly chopped spinach (palak) or 1 cup spinach puree
- 1 to 3 green chilies – chopped
- 1 inch ginger – chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves – chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice or any fragrant or regular rice variety
- 2 tablespoon oil – any neutral flavor oil
- 1 tej patta or Indian bay leaf
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 mace strand – thin single mace strand and not the whole mace
- 1 small star anise – optional
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 50 grams onion or 1 medium onion thinly sliced or ⅓ cup sliced onions
- 2 to 3 drops of lemon juice – optional
- 1 to 1.25 cups water
- salt as required
Directions For Making Spinach Pulao
Method For Spinach Puree
- Rinse basmati rice till the water runs clear of starch. Then soak the rice grains in enough water for 20 to 30 minutes. Later drain the water and keep the soaked rice aside.
- When the rice is soaking, rinse the spinach leaves very well and roughly chop them. You will need 3 cups roughly chopped spinach.
- Now add the spinach leaves in a blender or grinder jar. Also add green chilies, ginger and garlic cloves (all roughly chopped). For a moderatly spicy rice add 2 to 3 green chilies.
- Blend to a smooth puree. Keep covered aside.
Method For Spinach Pulao
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil.
- Add the following spices and saute them till they splutter – tej patta, cloves, cinnamon, green cardamoms, mace strand, small star anise and cumin seeds.
- Next add thinly sliced onions. Stirring often saute the onions till light golden or golden.
- Add the spinach puree. Stir and saute for 4 to 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the rice and mix rice very well.
- Add salt as required and water. 1 cup water gives an al dente rice. For a softer texture in the rice you can add 1.25 cups water. I added 1.25 cups water.
- Stir very well. At this step you can also add a few drops of lemon juice.
- Cover and pressure cook spinach rice for 8 to 9 minutes or 2 to 3 whistles on medium to medium-high heat.
- When the pressure falls down in the cooker on its own, then remove the lid and gently fluff the rice.
- Serve palak rice hot with a side salad or pickle or raita. While serving, if you want you can garnish with some chopped coriander or mint leaves.
- For some protein you can also add pan-fried tofu or paneer. Garnish the spinach Pulao with either of these.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to [email protected] for any further discussions.