Prepare time: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
Serves: 4 Persons
- 1 cabbage – medium-sized
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions or ⅓ cup sliced pearl onions or chopped shallots
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) – optional
- 1 green chili – chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ½ cup grated coconut – fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- salt as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves for garnis – optional
Directions For Making Cabbage Thoran
- Rinse the cabbage a few times in fresh water. Remove the outer leaves. Half or quarter the cabbage. Shred or grate the cabbage in a food processor. You can also slice the cabbage thinly.
- Also, chop the pearl onions or shallots or onion.
- Heat coconut oil in a heavy pan or kadai.
- First, add the mustard seeds and sauté on low heat till they crackle.
- Now, add the cumin seeds and sauté them till they change color.
- Add the chopped pearl onions or shallots or onion. Sauté stirring often until translucent.
- Add the green chilies and curry leaves and sauté for a minute.
- Now, add the turmeric powder and asafoetida (hing). Mix very well.
- Lastly, add the cabbage and salt. Stir and sauté for a minute.
- Cover the pan and let the cabbage cook on low heat. Continue to stir at times.
- Steam cook till the cabbage is tender.
- If there is any moisture in the pan, cook further till all the moisture dries up.
- When the cabbage is cooked, add the coconut. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- You can garnish it with coriander leaves if you prefer.
- Serve the Cabbage Thoran hot with some steamed rice, chapati, paratha or bread.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to email@example.com for any further discussions.