- 1 1/2 cups Refined flour maida
- 1/4 teaspoon Soda bicarbonate cooking soda
- 4 tablespoons Ghee/butter
- 6 tablespoons whisked Yogurt
- 4-5 finely chopped Pistachios –
- Oil/ghee to deep fry
To Make Syrup:
- 2 cups Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- a generous pinch optional Elachi powder
- 1 cup Water
Directions For Making Balushahi
- In a large mixing bowl sift the flour and soda bicarbonate together.
- Add four tablespoons of ghee or butter into the flour mixture and rub with your fingertips till it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Now add yogurt/curd and knead it into a soft dough.(do not kneed to much like you mix dough usually, the dough should look a little flaky)
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth and allow it to rest for about forty minutes.
- Divide the dough into twelve equal portions and make a round shape .
- Make a slight dent or hole in the middle with your thumb. Keep the balls covered and set aside.
- Heat sufficient ghee or oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once oil is hot slide in the prepared dough balls slowly, three to four at a time, and deep-fry on low heat.
- In sometime you can see that the balushahi will start floating to the top.
- Flip it to other side, once it gets browned on one side.
- Fry until golden brown (Do not fry in high flame).
- Follow the same procedure for frying the remaining badushas.
- Once done remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
- Set aside to cool till they reach room temperature.
- Mix the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed pan and set up to boil, on a medium flame.
- When the sugar is all dissolved, add the milk to the syrup (the milk causes any impurities to surface and be removed) and allow to boil for some more time.
- A scum will be formed on the surface.
- Collect the scum with a ladle and discard. Continue to cook till the syrup attains a two-string consistency.(If you like less sweet then you can cook till one thread consistency)
- Soak the cooled balushahi in syrup for about two hours.
- Slowly take out the balushahi from the sugar syrup and place on a serving plate.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to [email protected] for any further discussions.