Prepare time: 20 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Serves: 4 Persons
- 1/2 kilogram Mussels / Kallumakkaya / Kadukka(deshelled)
- 1/2 cup shallot (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- Coconut oil / vegetable oil / sunflower oil
Directions For Making Kallumakkaya Ularthiyathu
- Clean mussels – Place your mussels in a colander or bowl in the sink and run them under cold water. Rinse and scrub as necessary.
- De-shell the mussel – These mussels had quite hard shells and were difficult to open up using hands.
- Place 2 to 3 inch of water in a saucepan with a steamer and bring to a boil. Add the mussels to the steamer and cover.
- Reduce heat to medium and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Take it out of the steamer and de-shell.
- It’s easy to open up the shell once it’s steamed. Also, remove the dirt out of the mussel. Do it in batches.
- Heat oil in a pan and add finely sliced shallot and curry leaves. Saute until it becomes golden brown color.
- Crush ginger and garlic or make it into a paste. Add ginger-garlic and saute it well.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute it well. Add oil as required to fry the masalas.
- Add cleaned mussels, enough salt, vinegar and cover and cook. Don’t add water. Mussels have water in them, which seeps out while cooking. ** Vinegar is optional. I like slight sourness in the dish and hence added it.
- Ideally, it should get cooked by the time water gets dried up. Add sufficient oil around 2 tbsp oil. Fry it up to the consistency you wish to have.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to email@example.com for any further discussions.