Prepare time: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Serves: 4 Persons
- Raw rice / pachari 2 cups
- Jaggery 300 gms or one big ball
- Salt a pinch
- sesame seeds 1 tbsp
- ghee 1 tbsp
- thenga kothu / coconut bits 1 tbsp
- cardamom powder 1/2 tsp (optional)
Directions For Making Neyyappam
- Wash and soak the rice for 4-5 hours. Melt the jaggery in 1/4 cup water and strain impurities. The syrup should be about 1/2 cup now.
- Add the rice in the blender jar and add the 1/2 cup jaggery syrup to the rice to grind in batches to a coarse paste. The ground paste should look like it’s 3/4th ground and shouldn’t be ground to a smooth paste (VERY IMPORTANT POINT).
- Add salt and sesame seeds to this mix. Add cardamom powder if using and give a quick stir.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the coconut bits till lightly brown. Add this to the batter along with ghee.
- Mix and rest the batter for 5- 6 hours in summers. If you stay or make during winters then 7-8 hours may be needed to ferment. Over fermentation or under fermentation may not give good results. Over fermented batter drinks up more oil and the batter flows out of shape. Under fermented may yield hard solid rock like appam and will not float in oil once frying.
- Reduce the heat slightly so that the inside also gets cooked properly by flipping both sides. (Don’t reduce the flame too low as it may turn the appams hard).
- Repeat the same step of frying till you finish making all neyyapams. You can make a total of 11- 13 appams with this amount of batter.
- Drain on paper towels and the cool completely before storing in air tight containers. Stays good outside at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- Enjoy with a cup of black tea.
Disclaimer: All details published and represented above is part of the submissions by the author. aircooks does not take any responsibility for the information published and the correctness of the same. The views expressed in the content belong to the content creators and are not the organisations, its affiliates, or its employees. The author and aircooks disclaim liability for any damage, mishap, or injury that may occur from engaging in any activities or ideas from this website. Please write to [email protected] for any further discussions.